Friday 11 April 2014

Review: Juno (2007)

After being out on Saturday night till the wee hours, and spending all day playing table top games with friends on Sunday, I was shattered and had just enough time to squeeze in a film before going to bed. I needed something light-hearted and not too long, so I put on Juno.

 
 
If you've never heard of Juno before, it's a comedy/drama centralised on a 16 year old girl called Juno MacGuff, who gets pregnant after a night with her best friend Bleeker. She then has to make an important decision about what to do with the baby.
 
I bought this on DVD about 2 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a 'Oh hey I've heard of this film, and it's mega cheap!' kind of moment, and so it's sat gathering dust ever since. I am SO glad that I finally watched it last night though.
 
What struck me first of all was the soundtrack. I'm not normally one to comment on music in films but the songs were so catchy, I've got one stuck in my head right now as I'm typing this...'Here is the church and here is the steeple, we sure are cute for two ugly people'... I am going to have to find the soundtrack for my iTunes tonight for sure.
 
What got me next was the humour. I love comedies, all kinds, from staged, obvious American humour to sarcastic British humour, but this really made me laugh out loud. Not belly laughs, but little snorts here and there. The humour in this is really subtle and if you were half listening you'd miss it all together, but I think that makes it funnier! Just a quick example below...
 


 
 
I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen before I even watched this. Not that I minded much, but I'm sure you can imagine what kind of plot I was thinking of. And I was wrong. I was so happy to be wrong, because that made me love this film even more. Get this, my other half even turned his laptop off just to finish watching this with me. Now, you really know it was a good film!

No comments:

Post a Comment