Sunday 11 May 2014

Review: The Bodyguard (1992)

God I dislike this film, I have always disliked this film and I watched it with my Cousin and Aunt on Saturday night and I still dislike this film!  What I don't dislike is the music, I have always loved Whitney Houston's music (pardon the pun) and for that reason I can sit through the film more than once.


The film is based around Kevin Costner's character Frank Farmer who takes a job as a bodyguard for pop-star Rachel Marron after she has started receiving threatening letters.  The plotline then goes on how you would expect, she hates him, he doesn't like her, they have a moment, they sleep together and so on.  I won't continue because there a few twists in the movie that, when you watch it for the first time are pretty shocking.  The rest is predictable and Kevin Costner's skills are ultimately wasted here.  You never really get to know the characters or who they are so you a limited in your understanding of why they do the things they do. 

This was actually one of my Mom's favourite movies when I was a kid, so I really want to love it but I just don't - I'm not sure if Allie has seen this (or enjoyed it) so I could be in for a swift kicking soon!  I read a review on this film that summed it up perfectly 'Best bad film ever!' I don't like it and I never will but I will watch it over and over again! This is why:



Just try and picture me right now sat in the office bursting into a rendition of I Will Always Love You, but singing 'And Iiiiiiiiiiii-ii-iiii, have never seen this film!' Sorry, destroying amazing songs now. No, I've never seen this. I'm not sure if I will? No, I don't mean that. I'm a Flick Chick, it's my duty to watch whatever film comes my way. I don't know when, but I'll give this a try sometime.

Overall, the action comes across as set up and silly and the romance isn't interesting enough to keep me entertained throughout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment