Saturday 5 July 2014

Review: Man of Steel (2013)

I saw this film initially at the cinema and recently it's been on Sky Movies near on daily so I managed to catch up on it again and again and again!! It wasn't so bad though because I did really enjoy this, much to the surprise of many of my film fan friends who were disappointed after all the waiting!!


Who wouldn't love a film with that face...and that body in it!!  That would have been enough for me, it could have been 2 hours of Henry Cavill just staring at the camera and I would have given it 10/10.  I'm kidding, sort of! Mmm I'll second that! I was actually sort of gutted when him and Kaley Cuoco split up, they were so cute together! Man of Steel covers the history of how Kal-El became Clark Kent and then became Superman all while saving Earth from the likes of General Zod and his Kryptonian pals.

It is fair to say that I am overall a Marvel girl, I prefer the Marvel films (I'm not a huge comic book reader so I can't comment on that) but I prefer the humour and comedic timing in the Marvel films to the darker more serious DC films such as this and the Batman trilogy.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy these and this one had its fair share of dry humour throughout, this being my favourite:


See, now I feel sort of awkward commenting on this. Comics wise, I'm a DC fan completely, no doubt. Film wise, I tend to steer towards Marvel for the humour  (what I actually want to say is Thor) Ta-da!!! (couldn't resist!). I saw Man of Steel at the cinema and enjoyed it, but it just didn't have wow factor for me, and it sort of dragged a bit. My other half wouldn't stop raving though so it's totally personal from my side.

Although the film was particularly long, it felt rushed to me.  I am a huge fan of Smallville which took 10 seasons and 10 years to show how Clark Kent became Superman, what this film showed in 30 minutes.  I understand not as much detail can be put into a film and that there is no way it wouldn't feel rushed, so I think Smallville may have somewhat ruined any Superman films for me that covers the time prior to becoming Superman!

Actually that makes a lot of sense! I only started watching Smallville just before the JLA was introduced, and I would rather watch a few episodes of Smallville than Man of Steel.

Aside from that though, I really enjoyed the film, particularly Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, who I thought should have had much more screen time and Michael Shannon as General Zod.  Cavil was a significant improvement on what I consider the boring version offered by Brendan Routh but Amy Adams lacked the tough sarcasm and general know-it-all nature of Lois Lane that I love.

I could say I would watch this again and again but I already have! Definitely recommend it to any comic book movie fans but maybe not to Smallville fans!!





2 comments:

  1. Good review, ladies. I liked it, but didn't love it. I never got into Smallville, so I don't have that perspective, but I have seen all of the movies and the old 50s tv show, and read the comics, etc.

    http://dellonmovies.blogspot.com/2013/07/man-of-steel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It sounds like you've seen much more than I certainly have! I recall having friends over around Christmas time and Superman 3 was on? I don't even know if that was the title. I just remember us laughing at Lex Luthor skiing on top of a building! - Allie

      Delete