Wednesday 12 November 2014

Happy Birthday Ryan Gosling...


...In honour of Mr Gosling's 34th Birthday, I thought I would cover my Top 5 Ryan movies.  However, in looking for these I realised he has not actually done that many films.  I reckon I can see all of these pretty sharpish therefore I would have justification to write the Ryan Gosling Best/Worst post.


I know this film had a huge twist but everytime I go a year without watching it I forget the end so I can watch it again with fresh eyes.  I can't decide whether this is a good or bad thing but I enjoy the film and Anthony Hopkins is brilliant as sociopath Ted Crawford tormenting Detective Beachum (Ryan Gosling) at every turn.


Gosling is brilliant as the strong silent type in this action packed thriller, he barely speaks and yet you know what he's thinking (to a certain extent) and he steals every scene he's in (which is most of them).  It is gory in parts, but that's not something that has ever bothered me and I think in this particular story it's relevant rather than pointless (such as in Hostel).


We've already done a review on this, if you haven't seen it you can here but this was one that really surprised me.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy this at all but Ryan Gosling saved the day with his incredible performance as the lonely Lars who falls in love with a  sex doll.  He does such a great job that you actually start seeing Bianca as an actual character.

Need I say more.....




Anyone who knows me would have guessed that this was my number 1 as it is one of my favourite movies.  I love Gosling and McAdam's  chemistry in this and the brilliant similarities between Gosling and Garner's versions of Noah.  For me, his best yet.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to RG! Not looking over his filmography at the moment. So...off the top of my head...

    1. Drive
    2. Half Nelson
    3. Blue Valentine
    4. The Place Beyond the Pines
    5. Crazy Stupid Love

    I'm sure I'm missing something, though. Nice work, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I've actually only seen Drive off of this list. Fantastic movie, that, though several of those are movies that I've very much intended to get to at some point. Some of his other roles I've enjoyed include The Place Beyond the Pines and The Ides of March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Drive
    2. The Place Beyond the Pines
    3. Gangster Squad (because it's just so goofy and fun)
    4. Crazy Stupid Love
    5. Only God Forgives

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent tried Ides of March yet, I'm not gonna lie it looks soo boring.. May have to try it though to make sure I've watched all of Ryan Goslings movies.

    I feel like I should have liked Place Beyond the Pines and Only God Forgives but I just found them both a bit odd and too long, I just wasn't interested by the end. Must give a shout to the visuals in OGF though, it was stunning to watch! :)

    - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete