Monday 23 February 2015

Blind Spot: Schindler's List (1993)

Just in the nick of time, again, is our Blind Spot post for February. I really need to not make a habit out of this, but Oscars season has just messed up my entire blogging schedule as well as film-viewing schedule! This month I watched Schindler’s List, over two viewings thanks to it’s eye watering 195 min runtime.


Schindler’s List is the kind of film I shy away from instantly, which is the main reason I made sure it was on the Blind Spot list. The second reason is that people keep telling me Liam Neeson never used to just play Liam Neeson! So anyway, the film itself largely focuses on Oskar Schindler (Neeson), who sets up a factory in Poland during World War II, creating hundreds of jobs and hope for the Jews that are seeking refuge there.

This is only the second black and white film I’ve ever seen, and just like before, it seemed odd at first but once the story kicked in I completely forgot about the lack of colour. Until a scene involving a huge table full of food - I couldn’t work out what was there and that felt a little weird*. Oh, and the little girl in the red coat of course, how can I forget her? Okay, so maybe this is my first black, white and red film.


schindlers-list-liam-neeson

Schindler's List was a real rollercoaster of emotions for me. I won't try and pretend that I understood everything that was going on, because similar to my last Blind Spot, there was just so much going on. I also know very little about World War II thanks to my absolute ignorance to History class back in school. Thankfully though I watched this with my fiance who let me pause every now and again so I could double check what was happening/

The ending was ruined a little for me by everyone telling me to be ready with a box of tissues. My mind had already geared myself up for the worst and as heartbreaking as the end was, I think it would have affected me more if I was clueless.

schindlers-list-red-coat

It was also really interesting to see a very young Ralph Fiennes, having recently seen him in the Oscar-winning Grand Budapest Hotel. He was chilling, and I look forward to seeing more of him.

All in all, despite it's length, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Several scenes were extremely uncomfortable to watch, but they added to the story perfectly. It's one of those films I will never forget, but will probably never watch again either, if that makes any sense.






* I’m writing this whole post after two and a half hours sleep thanks to the Oscars, so you’ll have to forgive me for going completely off track.

17 comments:

  1. So glad you finally got to see this and "enjoy" it. I completely understand not wanting to ever see it again, also. It is a gut-wrenching experience. And yeah, Neeson doesn't just play Neeson and Fiennes is simply horrifying. Great review, Allie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the word enjoy should be taken lightly here, it's not the same as enjoying say, Guardians of the Galaxy. It's actually a really difficult film to review without sounding negative!
      Thank you :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. For me, Schindler's List is a film so perfect it is almost unmoving, if that makes sense. I felt the same you did, with regards the ending...I thought it should have moved me more. The film almost feels too clinical, too factual, if you get what I mean. It's a great film, and a very powerful story, but I don't...'love' it. I admire it.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a way with words! I don't think anyone can 'love' this film, admire and appreciate are the perfect words to use. It was a real eye opener though, and I learnt a lot from it.
      Thank you :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. It's amazing to me to think that Schindler's List is more than 20 years old. I saw it in the theaters while in high school, and it was quite an experience. I'm not sure that I've watched it since, though. It isn't the type of movie you want to watch over and over, but it leaves an impression. Hopefully having such a strong reaction to this film will drive you to see more black-and-white movies. There are so many amazing choices out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I bet it was a real experience to see this in the cinema. I'm definitely going to make an effort to see more black and white movies, the two I've seen so far have been fantastic :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. I think this film is brilliant, that being said, I would never want to watch it again. It's just so devastating. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely one of those that I think everyone should see once, but once is more than enough.
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. I have a longer comment brewing, but first I want to ask this - what's the OTHER black & white film you've seen? A big part of me wants to create a top ten list of b&w for you to pick through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I'm really behind on older films! I saw Miracle on 34th Street last Christmas, that was the first b&w film for me :)
      - Allie

      Delete
    2. Oooh - so could I give you a list of ten or twelve of my favorites to look for?

      Delete
    3. Oh, absolutely! If you haven't already figured, there's a TON of great films I'm yet to see, and I'm forever looking to recommendation lists :)
      - Allie

      Delete
    4. So, not counting the films already on your blindspot list, here are some of my favorites...

      The Apartment
      Raging Bull
      Citizen Kane
      Good Night and Good Luck
      Psycho
      Manhattan
      The Night of The Hunter
      Ninotchka
      The Man Who Wasn't There
      and
      Pickpocket

      enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I envy you, Allie, for experience black and white for the first time. I find it so beautiful. I just watched Alexander Payne's 2013 film "Nebraska" last night, and that is a new film that uses the black and white cinematography to great effect.

    Likewise, I love this film. It is perfectly crafted and incredibly emotional. I cry like a baby every time I watch this movie (three times I've seen it). It is a powerful experience. Glad you got to feel that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds really interesting, I'm going to look up Nebraska now :)
      Schindler's List really was incredible, and left me a bit of an emotional wreck at the end. I didn't really know what to say or do when the credits rolled!
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Oh, another masterpiece from the 90s I haven't watched... Your statement here 'It's one of those films I will never forget, but will probably never watch again either, if that makes any sense.' gave me insight to prove it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a watch, just the one! I still haven't stopped thinking about it.
      - Allie

      Delete