Thursday 26 February 2015

Review: The Theory of Everything (2014)

I have been waiting for this film since I first heard it was coming out, I had a feeling Eddie Redmayne would do a good job and I was not disappointed!

The Theory of Everything is based on the book 'Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen' written by Stephen Hawking's first wife Jane Hawking.  The film starts with Hawking's (Eddie Redmayne) life at Cambridge through to his he first marriage to Jane (Felicity Jones) and publication of A Brief History of Time all while dealing with his on-going battle with Motor Neuron Disease.   


I would have liked to have seen more about Hawking's childhood, the time before he was diagnosed, however after finding out it was based on the book by Jane Hawking, it stands to reason why it only starts when he meets her.  I also would have liked more content on his work in developing theory as it all seemed a little skimmed over, but I suppose from his partners perspective, she wouldn't necessarily have known the full ins and outs of what he did.

I know very little about Stephen Hawking, but I too would have liked to know more about his life when he was younger, but I do understand that it's a book adaptation.


None of this however, took away from the film.  I was fully engrossed from beginning to end, I knew Redmayne would do a good job but he just blew me away, at more than one point during the movie, I forgot it was Redmayne and actually thought it was Stephen Hawking.  He really captured the twinkle in his eye that Hawking always seems to have, if I ever see an interview or cameo from Hawking he shows such a cheeky sense of humour and that was really captured in the film.  I've never been a massive fan of Felicity Jones but she captured this part so well, personally not 'Oscar worthy' well but a stellar performance and the chemistry between the two leads is perfect.

I doubt it was intentional, but Felicity Jones' character kind of irritated me a little. I don't really know why, I have no idea how difficult her life must have been, but still. Sorry.


Although, I very much enjoyed the film and it was good to learn more about Hawking's personal life rather than his work, I don't think it is Oscar worthy.  Redmayne's performance however, is without a doubt 'Best Actor' material, if he doesn't win the Oscar after than performance I will be writing a strongly worded letter to the Academy Awards Board!!!!


Brilliant film, avoids being too soppy and keeps the pace with light-hearted humour and cheekiness while still defining the enormity of both Hawking's work and illness.

It was a lovely film, but it didn't blow me away. Eddie Redmayne however was brilliant, and as much as I would love Birdman to win everything, Eddie does deserve an Oscar for this performance. In fact, if it wasn't for Eddie, I doubt I would have enjoyed it.







3 comments:

  1. Great review! I found that I sympathized with Jane so much. I'm just glad she found happiness with Jonathan afterwards, because she had to much on her plate before. That's not to ignore the struggles Stephen went through. Both of them are very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! It was a refreshing movie to see a relationship endure so much for so many years. I wished the movie had a little more oomph to it in terms of conflict or resolution, but still it was very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie Redmayne was fantastic in the role, truly worth of his nomination. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, but it was a lovely movie. Great review!

    ReplyDelete