Thursday 21 May 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies Based on a Graphic Novel/Comic (Non-Superhero)

This week’s theme has really got me thinking. If you’re not familiar with the Thursday Movie Picks, it’s an amazing thing hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. Each week brings a new theme, and all you need to do is pick 3 movies that fit the bill to discuss. This week is movies based on a graphic novel or comic book. Easy, right? Think again. They can't be superhero-related!





300 (2006) is the story of King Leonidas and his 300 men, fighting the Persians at Thermopylae many, many years ago. It’s also a series of comic books from back in 1998, written by Frank Miller! I can’t quite believe the movie is 9 years old now, I remember seeing it at the cinemas with my College buddies like it was only yesterday. Does that make me sound old? The sequel was okay, but 300 is a movie everyone should experience at least once!


R.I.P.D. (2013) is a quirky tale of a recently deceased cop who joins the Rest In Peace Department, and tries to find the man who murdered him. The movie is based on a Dark Horse comic by the same name. Sadly, the movie sort of bombed at the box office. I thought it was okay, my opinion is obviously biased but I understood people’s problems with it. Problem is, it’s a very little known comic in the first place and easily comparable to Men in Black.



Snowpiercer (2013) is a crazy story set in the future after a climate-change experiment went terribly wrong, and the planet’s only survivors are living on a train with a strict and harsh class system. The movie is based on a French graphic novel called Le Transperceneige, first published in 1982, although an English translation was released last year. Snowpiercer is a confusing yet brilliant movie, and I would urge anyone to give it a go if they haven’t already.

24 comments:

  1. Only seen RPID from your list, and agree it was 'okay' but it didn't deserve the critical bashing it got, though MIB is much better (surprised that MIB hasn't been picked yet...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what, even after writing that post, I didn't think to include MIB, haha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Love 300 and need to see Snowpiercer again. Late night viewing the first time around so I don't think I quite got it all. Not a fan of RIPD, but I could see why you would think it's fun. And no, remembering going to see 300 doesn't make you sound old. I remember going to see A Nightmare on Elm Street, the original, like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Snowpiercer is one of those that needs to be seen twice regardless, as much as I enjoyed it I never felt that I truly 'got it' so I keep making a mental note to re-watch it at some point. Some cinema experiences are just too awesome to forget :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. I have a feeling that 300 and Ghost World are going to rock this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 300 doesn't seem to be getting as much love as I thought it would, but Ghost World is rocking it! I can't believe I forgot about that one.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. I've only seen 300 from your choices, and liked its highly stylized look and of course the action. Snowpiercer looks to be a popular pick this week, I haven't seen it but it is on my list. R.I.P.D. is one I'm unfamiliar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I would definitely recommend Snowpiercer, it's been a popular choice this week :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  5. Until today, I didn't know Snowpiercer was based on a graphic novel. I love all the social commentary in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about it either until last year when my Blogger feed was full of reviews for the film, and then I started digging into what it was about :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  6. 300... YUM.

    Snowpiercer is one of the best action flicks of the '00s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! It's been too long since I've seen 300 actually, I think a re-watch is in order soon.
      - Allie

      Delete
  7. Cool picks! Nice to see Snowpiercer on here; I thought that'd be an instant popular favorite this week. It's hard to believe 300 is almost ten years old. That DOES make me feel old. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Snowpiercer and Ghost World have been big winners this week it seems. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling old because of 300, haha!
      - Allie

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen RIPD, but I love the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the greatest film around, but it's worth a watch on a rainy Saturday afternoon :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  9. Very surprised to see RIPD make it on anyone's list. I agree that it got hit way harder than it should have critically, and the Men in Black comparison was a little bit too overblown, but it's a very mediocre film. Snowpiercer & 300 are both great picks though. - Bubbawheat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely not the best, but I thought it was enjoyable. It struggled I think with the overall tone, it couldn't decide if it was a comedy or drama, and that spoiled the atmosphere more than once.
      - Allie

      Delete
  10. Great picks! I'm going to try and look for Snowpiercer's graphic novel. It's something I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowpiercer! Can't believe I forgot this, I really liked the film, I thought it brought out the best parts of the book. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you're the first person I know who's actually read the book, is it worth it?
      - Allie

      Delete
  12. Seen all; agree with most that R.I.P.D was just terrible. I didn't know it was based on a comic, but whether it was little or well known has little do with how the adaptation turned out and did box-office wise. Le Transperceneige too was probably not well read since it was only available in English recently but at least Snowpiercer was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to read the R.I.P.D. graphic novel though to find out the overall mood. The problem I had with the film was I couldn't work out if it was a comedy or a drama, and if the novel has the same issue? I don't know, I just didn't think it was *that bad*.
      - Allie

      Delete