Sunday 25 October 2015

Review: Magic Mike XXL (2015)

I  have been quite looking forward to this since Magic Mike.  I know you're all thinking, typical woman, can't wait to watch muscular chaps get their kits off and dance around.....and you would be right!  But also, the original one had quite a dark story which I really enjoyed....I did....I swear.....

Magic Mike XXL starts 3 years after Mike (Channing Tatum) bowed out of the stripper game for good.  A phone call from Tarzan (Kevin Nash) brings the old gang back together (less Matthew McConaughey's Dallas and Alex Pettyfer's 'The Kid') for one last hurrah as a convention in Myrtle Beach.  Tito (Adam Rodriguez), Ken (Matt Bomer), Big Dick Richie (Joe Manganiello) along with Mike and Tarzan embark on a road trip (interjected with various strip teases) to perform their final routine.


I can't say I didn't enjoy this film, I really did but not for the story.  That was poor in comparison to the original and it became a bit more cheesy than dark and sometimes grim original which was a bit disappointing to be honest.  I can say however that the strip sequences made the film watchable, i'm not even being a pervert (i swear!), I love dance routines in films and that is effectively what they were.  It didn't hurt that they were half naked mind......


The ensemble don't quite nail the chemistry that they had in the first one and they overplayed some of the elements from the first film but the finale absolutely blew the whole film out of the water, I replayed it twice!!  


Awesomely entertaining but didn't quite match up to the first one.


No comments:

Post a Comment