Tuesday 30 August 2016

Review: Jason Bourne (2016)

A couple of years ago I was hunting the aisles of CeX (a second-hand entertainment store in the UK) for bargains when my husband called me over, he’d found a box-set of the Bourne trilogy for something silly like £5. When I told him I’d never seen them I was practically dragged back home (after paying, of course) and forced to watch all 3 over the course of the weekend. Admittedly, I didn’t know what I was missing out on, I really enjoyed those movies! Not so much the Jeremy Renner addition, but come on, it’s not a Bourne movie without Matt Damon.

I wasn't looking forward to this AT ALL, my review may reflect that fact more than it should!!  I don't overly rate the Bourne films if i'm honest, I never found the stories particularly engaging and the action was always too fast paced to actually see what was going on!

jason-bourne-movie-review-2016

That said, I’ve been looking forward to Jason Bourne (2016) since the first trailer came out. (ha! could we be any more different!) So many of this summer’s blockbusters have given away everything in the trailer, and this kept everything under wraps, it was all going to be a surprise. We panicked when we got to the cinema at the sight of the queue nearly reaching the door, but thankfully they all wanted to see Suicide Squad (poor them) so we lucked out.

I don’t know how much of the plot I want to explain here to be honest. Not for spoilers or anything, but surprises are nice, guys! Basically, Jason (Matt Damon) is in hiding in Greece playing fight club (but let’s not talk about that). Over in Iceland, Nicky (Julia Stiles) hacks into the CIA’s servers and copies all of their Black Ops files, which includes Treadstone and secret information about Jason Bourne’s past. Nicky is caught by CIA newcomer Heather (Alicia Vikander) who begins hunting Nicky and Jason down with the help of Director Dewey (Tommy Lee Jones).

jason-bourne-2016-matt-damon

Let’s face it, you don’t go into a Bourne movie expecting a complicated, intricate plot, you’re there for some action and thrills, and that’s what you get. 2 hours of a brooding, buff Matt Damon kicking ass and driving like a madman. Cue the biggest use of shaky-camera action I’ve ever seen. Don’t get me wrong, it works brilliantly, but when the audience is meant to be reading a text message on someone’s phone screen, hold the damn thing still! I can’t read when you’re shaking it like Taylor Swift dangit!  I was not impressed with the shaky-camera action, I felt like I had a bad case of vertigo, I needed a lie down after to recover!  I had no idea what was going on in the fight scenes because I couldn't see one person from the other, I was glad when someone got knocked down because it provided a short pause for me to get my bearings!

I wasn’t sure what to think of Alicia Vikander’s character at first, she was amazing in her 2015 movies and came across quite wooden in this to begin with, but towards the end of the movie I realised that’s how she was meant to be. Don’t mess with Bourne, Heather!  This is where I was impressed, I really love Alicia Vikander and she didn't disappoint me here.  I had know idea where her loyalties lay throughout the whole thing, obviously that was the story but she played the poker face so well I had even less chance of working out who the heck she was supporting.  I convinced myself at one point that she was Bourne's long lost sister from Beirut!

jason-bourne-2016-alicia-vikander

The one thing I was waiting for was the moment in the trailers where that riot truck just plows through traffic in Las Vegas. So. Much. Yes. That was my favourite action scene, made even better by the fact that Jason Bourne was driving a black Dodge as well. I’m not a car fanatic or anything, but on my honeymoon I was designated driver, and our hire car was a black Dodge Dart (we named him Terry) and I loved that car so much.  I was expecting to be really excited by the Vegas scene and on the edge of my seat but by that point I had given into boredom and was fidgeting like I desperately needed the loo (I didn't!) and I just wanted it to be over already.

The action was great in theory but the story didn't grab my attention so I just lost interest. If I don't care about the characters then I have no reason to care when they are being beaten to a pulp by someone!

So yeah, Jason Bourne was everything I wanted it to be. A bit of mid-week fun and perfect for letting the brain switch off and just enjoy a good action flick!

I can't really justify my dislike of this, I was just plain bored.  Too much like all the others, nothing new or exciting!







3 comments:

  1. Jenna,one critic to another, I don't see how you think the Bourne movies to be lacking an engaging plot. Ask me, they're some of the most clever action films out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'd set high standards for Jason Bourne in the last film. haven't got around to seeing this yet but I'll probably find enough to enjoy to make a viewing worthwhile. Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I don't think it has quite the same excitement level that the original trilogy did, but it's a huge improvement from the last one :)
      - Allie

      Delete