Friday 21 October 2016

Review: Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

hunt-for-the-wilderpeople-review-2016
I’ll give any movie a try, within reason. I don’t listen to critic reviews, but I place a lot of faith into bloggers’ opinions. Bloggers review movies for fun in their spare time, you know you’re going to get nothing but their own opinions from their reviews. Hunt for the Wilderpeople only came into my radar a few weeks ago, and every blog review I read had nothing but praise for it. That was enough to convince me to add it to my watch list, but once I realised that it’s directed by Taika Waititi, the genius behind What We Do in the Shadows, I made it my mission to watch it as soon as possible.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is based off a book by Barry Crump called Wild Pork and Watercress. It has that book-adaptation feel to it (don’t ask me to explain that feeling - I can’t) anyway, and it’s broken up into Chapters which sum up the ongoings well. In fact, I’d really love to give the book a go, I hope it’s as funny as the movie.

Ricky (Julian Dennison) is a troubled young boy, moving around different foster homes. He’s dropped out at the farm belonging to Bella (Rima Te Wiata) and Hec (Sam Neill) as a last chance. If he screws this up, he’s going to end up in Juvy. Ricky struggles to settle in his new home, despite the love and attention given to him by Bella, and so he runs away into the bush. Hec goes out to find him, and the result is a national manhunt for the pair as it appears that Hec has kidnapped Ricky.

It’s a funny coincidence that I watched this in the same week as Swiss Army Man, because they both have a lot of similarities!

hunt-for-the-wilderpeople-birthday-song

Waititi’s style is clear in this movie. It’s got that same sense of humour as What We Do in the Shadows, and it’s quirky from start to finish. Julian Dennison absolutely shines as the child star of the movie, and his delivery of the witty lines is perfect. He’s just like a lot of other 13 year olds, thinking he’s a gangster because he’s shoplifted a chocolate bar, played GTA and listens to rap music. Yet he’s such a likeable character!

Every time I watch a movie set in New Zealand, I’m taken back by the beauty of the country. I’m sure a lot of work went into the cinematography, but honestly, the setting does half the work itself, it’s gorgeous to look at.

hunt-for-the-wilderpeople-hic-ricky

The movie walks that line of Comedy and Drama perfectly without throwing the tone all over the place. It has some horrendously sad moments that had me sobbing quite openly, although I won’t discuss why because of spoilers, but it’s also one of the funniest movies I’ve seen all year. The dialogue is brilliant, thanks in part to the chemistry Julian Dennison and Sam Neill share. 

I’ve been trying to balance this review out with a few negatives to warrant the 9/10 score I wanted to give it, but I’m really struggling. Originally I thought the roles of the Child Protection Officer and her Policeman companion were too campy, but actually, they fit the overall feel of the movie perfectly, especially when I try to compare it to What We Do in the Shadows. I very rarely give perfect marks to any movie, I think there’s always room for improvement, but I can’t find it here!


8 comments:

  1. Great review! I just got this from Netflix and I'm currently waiting for my company to fuck off so I can watch it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love it - get the bloody hell out my house so I can watch this great movie!
      - Allie

      Delete
  2. Whoah!! Now I'm even more excited to watch this after TCFF is done, Taika Waititi is awesome!! I've been enjoying a ton of indie movies + docs right now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, I honestly can't recommend it enough :)
      - Allie

      Delete
  3. FABULOUS! I love that you loved it. I have kept that movie in my mind since first seeing it. It is so goofy at times yet incredibly warm in others. I think Waititi straddles that line perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'm with you 100% In the hands of another Director I think this could be one of those forgettable movies that struggles with tone, but it was just so well done.
      - Allie

      Delete
  4. Yes yes yes!! So pumped you liked this Allie!! It is from my neighbours in NZ and I loved it when i saw it month ago. And this:

    "The movie walks that line of Comedy and Drama perfectly"

    exactly. That is what makes it so good.

    And also the youth welfare issues in our country and NZ are reeeally screwed up, dunno if that issue relates to other countries.

    One of my faves of the year for sure. I also gave it a perfect score :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am absolutely loving the movies coming out of NZ lately. This and What We do In the Shadows are up there in my all time favourites.
      Admittedly I know very little about the youth welfare issues in the UK, but I can't imagine it being much different.
      - Allie

      Delete